About Me

In my opinion, social justice implies the equality of all people within society regardless of sex, religion, race, economic or social origin. It is of utmost importance that individuals should treat each other in a spirit of brotherhood as well as have equal opportunities. The social justice I currently write of is the social justice I longed for in the past.

My name is Linden, and I’m a 25-year-old asylum seeker from Guyana; a beautiful country off the coast of South America. In my home country I was frequently subject to sexual abuse, violence and the lack of support. I often felt that some people were just displeased with my personality and identity and did not like me; hence I experienced unjust treatment and was often abused. My life was dull for I could not be authentic in my own home; my own country.

However, I believed that in modern society everyone should enjoy the same rights and opportunities to participate in a community without being worried about self-safety and other concerns. So, I changed my life and moved to another country in search of social justice. If I didn’t, I would’ve been dead; either by my attackers or by self harm. With only $200 in my pocket and a string of faith I journeyed to NYC. For the first time, I was homeless and couch surfing from stranger to stranger until I found my own. In just two months, I was beaten, assaulted and subsequently diagnosed with HIV. It was a low moment for me but several organizations including Housing works, Callen Lorde, City Bar Justice, and The Door – NYC provided me with valuable and necessary information concerning the rights I had as an undocumented immigrant and asylum seeker living with HIV.

Although I had many troubles and was alone, I wasn’t afraid for I realized and experienced that people are equal and may enjoy the same social services even when they face life challenges. As such, I was able to get medical, immigration and housing services. This was a turning point in my life because I was determined to help people in need, give assistance to those who suffered from social injustice, violence, and mistreatment as I did. I started volunteering in organizations that once had helped me and started school as a Social Work major hoping to change the world and do good deeds for people.

At school, my interest peaked in areas not just related to Social Work, but public health and Law. My interest is fueled by my yearning to help the underprivileged in society. I seek to gain valuable knowledge in Social Work which will help me become a competent service worker, and consequently, help me achieve my professional goal of setting up a community-based nonprofit organization aimed at assisting minorities and the underprivileged, especially the youths, in urban communities living with HIV. Given the vulnerability of these populations to public health problems, I would use my training to educate them and equip them with valuable knowledge on issues related to their health and safety.

One Response